Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Things parents do...

As a child, I remember the terror. As soon as the music was heard, I would run as fast as I could to get money. Oh, what if I MISSED THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!! HURRY!!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My four year old asked last year what the truck was that played music. I told him it was the ice cream truck, and that it drove around to sell ice cream to children. He of course, wanted to buy...

His father and I have convinced him that buying from the ice cream truck is not smart. If you ask him "why don't we buy from the ice cream truck?" he says, "too much overhead".

The poor kid. It's not like he's missing out on ice cream or anything. I myself am a huge ice cream fan, and just this afternoon we were sitting out on the porch eating ice cream cones. That's when the ice cream truck drove by.

I felt a little guilty, as I watched the children down the street race to get money so they could buy something.

Guilty enough, that I might keep some money on hand by the front door for next time. I don't know how much popsicles are going for these days, but with the price of gas the way it is, I'm guessing they're not cheap.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like a really bad idea to teach your children that when they hear a vehicle playing loud merry-go-round versions of christmas songs they should run out toward the street and purchase edibles from strangers? It looks like, good idea or not, I'm going to have to break down and let my children enjoy the thrill of the ice cream truck. Just not too often though, because of that overhead you know.

2 comments:

Emily said...

It is important to be somewhat cautious and discriminating in the choice of ice cream trucks one is willing to chase, but to me the idea that someone delivers ice cream to my office door is proof that forces of goodness are yet at work in the world. I'm willing to fork over a little overhead for that.

Ok, ok, I'm totally addicted and I just jump up and run outside as soon as I hear the music.

Natalie Gordon said...

You are a good mom. For years, I lied to my kids. I had them convinced that the truck just played pretty music to make us happy. When they found out there was ice cream inside, they felt betrayed. Imagine how they'll feel with the whole Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairy thing.

BTW, my husband has a story from his mission in Japan. In Japan, the sewer trucks that clean out the septic tanks play music to warn people to stay away. Many new missionaries were convinced that it was an ice cream truck, and chased it down the street. Silly Americans.