Monday, June 05, 2006

Hermits

I went to a "Mom's night out" a couple of weeks ago. Women from my neighborhood and my sister-in-law's neighborhood get together once month or so to visit while the dads stay home with the kids.

One of the women had brought some cookie bars that she called "Hermits". They were really good, so I got the recipe.

Hermits
3/4 C Shortening
3/4 C white sugar
3/4 C brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 C molasses
2 Tbsp water
3 C flour (one wheat and two white work well)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
I cup raisens (soak in boiling water and drain before adding)
1 cup walnuts
1 egg for glaze
Sugar for glaze

Cream shortening and sugars. Beat in two eggs, molasses and water, beat until smooth.
Mix together flour, soda and spices. Stir into batter and mix well. Add raisins and walnuts.
Grease two cookie sheets. Mold dough into 3 strips (about 3 inches wide). Put two on one cookie sheet and one on the other. Beat last egg and brush over top of dough. Sprinkle with 1 TBSP of sugar. Bake at 350 F in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Cool and cut into diagonal strips.

Now, I read "grease two cookie sheets" and thought, why would I want to use two cookies sheets? I put them all on one cookie sheet (a bun pan) and they came out sheet-cake looking. So I would recommend using one cookie sheet and not worrying about shaping them. Just mush the dough to fill the cookie sheet.
Here's proof of my inability to follow directions:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And here are some cut into nice bars:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: