Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Strong Drinks are not for the Belly

No, I haven't taken up coffee as a morning ritual. My garden has been suffering. Some sort of bug, or combination of bugs have launched a full scale attack. Half of the beans I planted are chewed down to stubs. My zinnia sprouts are no longer (and they were sent to me by a friend from Illinois, so I'm not happy about that). The bell peppers have been munched on a bit. Finally, the volunteer melons that had sprouted have been eaten.

One of my gardening friends recommended coffee. Those of us gardeners "in the know", know that used coffee grounds (UCG) are a great fertilizer. They can be flung about the yard, and do wonders for lawns. Well, apparently unbrewed coffee grounds work to keep bugs off of plants. I could either sprinkle the coffee around the plants, or I could "brew" some and spray it directly on the leaves. I mixed up some coffee that I have had under the sink for a couple of years (you have to love those business christmas gifts). I knew it would come in handy some day. I spent a few minutes this morning spraying everything with coffee that I brewed by dumping some in a jar with hot water and letting sit for a day.

We'll see if it works. It smells nice though, the smell of coffee brings happy memories of my great grandpa.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: