Friday, January 30, 2009

Naan?

My gardening friend Leslies posted a recipe for Naan, and I made it once and decided that it would make awesome pita bread for pocket sandwiches.

Ingredients:
1 tea spn active dry yeast
2 tbl spn yogurt
1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tea spn sugar
3/4 tea spn salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tbl spn water

Garlic-butter topping(Mix both):
1 tbl spn butter
1 tea spn garlic

Method:
Heat the water to luke warm (it should be warm when you dip your finger in it. I normally microwave water for 10sec). Add yeast, sugar and salt. Leave it for 10mins till the yeast forms a froth (gets activated).
Now add all remaining ingredients and make it into a dough. Knead for 3-4mins. Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place for about 2-3hrs till the dough doubles in volume.
Preheat the oven to 425F.
Make balls from the dough and roll them. Do not make them too thick as they puff up when baked (I roll them into thicker than chapathi/phulka but thinner than alu paratha). Apply a little butter on top. Line them on a lightly buttered cookie sheet.
Bake in the oven at 425F for about 7mins till they puff up. Take out, apply the garlic-butter mixture on the top and keep it in the oven again. Bake for another 5mins till the top looks brownish.

Makes about 8 small naans


For pita bread, I left out the garlic-butter topping and just baked them for 6 minutes total (if you bake them any longer they get crunchy). Also, don't roll them out as thin so that they puff up more. Cut them in half and fill them with any sandwich fillings you like. We had hummus, turkey, cheese, tomato, lettuce, and avocado. I also made mine with wheat flour. It's been fun to learn to make different types of bread, I didn't buy pita bread a lot before, but now I can just make it myself. These really puff up, so although I make them small, they have a nice big pocket for stuffing. If you don't keep plain yogurt around, you could probably leave it out- I haven't tried it so I'm not sure what difference it would make. If you buy a container of plain yogurt for this and then don't know what to do with the rest, you can scoop some into a dish and stir in a spoonful of jam. That's what we do with our homemade yogurt.

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

I once tried making naan a couple years back. It turned out... okay. But compared to the deliciousness that I get in Indian restaurants it was not even in the same league! So I've never made it again. Instead I just buy the trader joe's kind (mmm... curry) and heat it up in the microwave.

Alice said...

Yeah- when I made naan with this recipe, it was okay, but nothing like going to the indian restaurant. I wish we had a trader joe's!

It makes great pita bread though. :)