Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day?

Colleen, my gardening friend, posted this link to Mother Earth News for an easy recipe and instructions on making artisan bread. I decided to try it out (some one had to be the guinea pig to report back).
Here's the dough just mixed:

The ingredients are very simple:
3 cups lukewarm water

1 1⁄2 tbsp granulated yeast (1 1⁄2 packets)

1 1⁄2 tbsp coarse kosher or sea salt

6 1⁄2 cups unsifted, unbleached, white flour (I'm using white for the first try, but in the future, I'm going to try wheat)

It's nearly done rising, then I'll put it in the fridge, and tomorrow I'll cut off a 1/4 of the dough lightly shape it into something roundish, and bake (leaving the rest in the fridge for another time). The next time I make dough, I make it in the same container, without washing it, which eventually gives the dough a sourdough-like flavor.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

No comments: