Thursday, November 29, 2007

To the Women of the Church

From President HInckley:

Some years ago President Benson delivered a message to the women of the Church. He encouraged them to leave their employment and give their individual time to their children. I sustain the position which he took.

Nevertheless, I recognize, as he recognized, that there are some women (it has become very many in fact) who have to work to provide for the needs of their families. To you I say, do the very best you can. I hope that if you are employed full-time you are doing it to ensure that basic needs are met and not simply to indulge a taste for an elaborate home, fancy cars, and other luxuries. The greatest job that any mother will ever do will be in nurturing, teaching, lifting, encouraging, and rearing her children in righteousness and truth. None other can adequately take her place.

It is well-nigh impossible to be a full-time homemaker and a full-time employee. I know how some of you struggle with decisions concerning this matter. I repeat, do the very best you can. You know your circumstances, and I know that you are deeply concerned for the welfare of your children. Each of you has a bishop who will counsel with you and assist you. If you feel you need to speak with an understanding woman, do not hesitate to get in touch with your Relief Society president.

To the mothers of this Church, every mother who is here today, I want to say that as the years pass, you will become increasingly grateful for that which you did in molding the lives of your children in the direction of righteousness and goodness, integrity and faith. That is most likely to happen if you can spend adequate time with them.

For you who are single parents, I say that many hands stand ready to help you. The Lord is not unmindful of you. Neither is His Church.

May He bless you, my beloved sisters who find yourselves in the situation of single parenthood. May you have health, strength, vitality to carry the heavy burden that is yours. May you have loving friends and associates to bear you up in your times of trial. You know the power of prayer as perhaps few others do. Many of you spend much time on your knees speaking with your Father in Heaven, with tears running down your cheeks. Please know that we also pray for you.


Do the best we can, we know our circumstances, the Lord is mindful of us all. Read Sister Beck's talk, see what you can take from it to grow and learn, but know that God is mindful of us. Know that he wants us to do our best, not more than we are able. He loves us and doesn't want us to drown in the despair which satan would sneak into our minds.

Man (and woman) is, that he (and she) might have joy.

2 comments:

George said...

The clarity of President Hinckley here leaves me without adequate words of appreciation and respect. Oh, how we shall miss him when his time is through here!

crazy4danes said...

This is such an interesting topic this day in age...and I love that you pointed out that if some women are working to support the luxuries in life that without that second income would not be there, ie. the fancy car, the bigger house, the boat, etc. which I do not agree with at all. I too feel that being a mother is the most important job of all, but I do feel that every situation is different and every person is too. Like you said...you hope everyone makes the best decision for their family. I am a stay at home mom, but as my son has started school I find myself longing to join the ranks of working women again, not to support and unecessary lifestyle, but to feel that I am accomplishing something. Now is this bad that I feel that being a stay at home mom for my son isn't accomplishing something? I don't know but what I do know is I feel like I would just be happier as a whole if I was out using my mind, and talents...just part time. I feel a happier mom would make a better mom. So I feel my decision for going back to work is one made for the right reasons, not for the car, or the boat, but for my own sanity, and no one likes a crazy mom ;P