Saturday, January 27, 2007

Who's Responsible?

My son wants a bird. A parrot specifically, so that he can teach it to talk. He also asked recently when he would stop being a kid and become a grown-up. You might wonder what these two things have in common... After he asked when he'd be a grown-up, I told him that there wasn't a set age at which someone becomes a grown-up. He then asked, "are some people kids forever?".

In some ways, yes.

It all comes down to one word. Responsibility.

One of the requirements for my son to prove he is responsible enough to help take care of a bird (which will NOT be a parrot) is to keep his toys picked up without whining. It's an important lesson to learn, to take care of the things you have and not expect someone else to come along and clean up the messes you make in your life. Be responsible for yourself and for the "things" in your life.

Responsibility is a big issue to me, and I could go on, but I'll save it for future posts.

No comments: