Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Better than eating out...

One of my new-year's resolutions was to plan ahead better for meals. The first week, was really good (we ended up with way too many left-overs though). Since then I have not done as well, although I think it is too much to expect to have perfectly planned meals every night. Sometimes you just have to have pancakes or chipped beef gravy on toast.

I was in the mood for mexican food, but our dining-out budget was used up, so I decided to make enchiladas one night. I planned ahead, and when the Mr. was grilling up some chicken for another well-planned meal (chicken broccoli alfredo), I had him grill some extra chicken. I chopped it up and put it in the freezer. On the day I wanted to make enchiladas, I took it out to defrost.



The enchiladas are made with chicken, olives, sour cream and enchilada sauce from a can. The filling is rolled into corn tortillas, then smothered in more enchilada sauce. On the side, I made spanish rice (in rice cooker, add a little tomato sauce, garlic, and chili powder to water- mix well, add rice and turn on), refried beans (we bought a bunch of dehydrated refried beans for our food storage, and they are actually pretty good), and topped everything off with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, olives and a dab of sour cream (oh, and shredded cheese of course). The Mr. had to take a picture of it, he thought it looked so nice.

Usually I just let people serve themselves, but this meal needed to be served plated. The kids were not huge fans of the meal, I think the enchilada sauce was a little too spicey.

1 comment:

limes said...

purty food!