Monday, May 21, 2007

Urban Legends and Cookies

My mother-in-law came to visit the new baby a few weeks ago and left us a bag of homemade cookies when she went home. One kind was a chocolate peanut butter cookie (which was pretty good even though I don't like peanut butter) the other kind was what she called "Revenge Cookies" because the recipe was circulated online after a woman was tricked into paying $250.00 for it. My mother-in-law guessed it was probably not a true story, but the cookies were very tasty.

Here's the info on the "Revenge Cookie" urban legend at my favorite website Snopes.com.

Here's the recipe if you feel so inclined. I don't think I'll ever make them since they involve grating a hershey bar (grating!). I'd also cut the recipe in half, because 112 cookies is a bit excessive.

2 C butter
4 C flour
2 tsp soda
2 C sugar
5 cups oatmeal (measure and then blend to a powder in blender)
24 oz chocolate chips
2 C brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 8 oz hershey bar, grated
4 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
3 C chopped nuts
2 tsp vanilla

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder and soda. Add chocolate chips, hershey bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

No comments: