Thursday, October 16, 2008

Don't do this

I made pizza for dinner tonight, usually I form the crust by tossing the dough in the air (which is why it is usually less-than perfectly round- let's just say I'm still "perfecting" my skill). Today for some reason I decided just to use a rolling pin. I placed the dough on the pizza stone (with a little corn meal) and rolled a perfectly round base for pizza toppings.

The pizza was the nicest looking pizza I've ever made, but when it came time to slice it, I could tell there was a problem. For some reason the crust was cemented to the pizza stone and the only way to get the pizza off of the stone was to use a spatula to cut the top of the pizza off. It wasn't pretty, but it was edible.

I suppose if I want to use the rolling pin again, I could, I just need to roll it out prior to placing it on the pizza stone. I think I'll go back to the pizza toss method- it's more entertaining for the kids.

(Speaking of Pizza, does anyone have a really good crust recipe? Mine is okay, but it's not anything special.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to get you the one my wife uses. It's very good.

Sarah said...

For 3 Crusts in your bread machine:
1 3/4 c 80 degree water plus 2 T
1 tsp lemon juice
2 1/2 tsp oil (we use corn)
2 1/2 T sugar
1 1/4 t salt
2 1/2 T dry milk
5 2/3 c flour
2 1/2 tsp yeast

Put on dough cycle.

Bake 425 F for 20 minutes.

If you don't have a bread machine, then you just make it like normal bread. It is nice & soft and lovely! We use it all the time. It replaced all of our other pizza dough recipes. Plus it helps rotate through our dry milk in food storage.

Tiffany said...

Hey Allie,

I love my crust recipe which I got from allrecipes - Ricardo’s Pizza Crust. You can use it with or without the oregano & basil.

I have the sticking issue also. I use baking paper which is well floured before I roll out the dough. It usually keeps it from sticking. I haven't been brave enough to try tossing the dough yet...I'm sure I would have to tape myself doing it so I could laugh at myself later on :)