Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Baked Ziti (or Penne, rather)


Dinner tonight was just something I kind of threw together, but I have to say, it was really tasty, so I thought I'd share...

Cook pasta, drain.

Brown ground beef, some garlic and a small chopped onion  (I cooked probably a pound or so, and put half in the fridge for another day)
Add 1 small can of tomato paste, and 1 regular sized can of chopped tomatoes (I used some that had italian seasoning in them already, so if you just use regular tomatoes, add a tsp or so of italian seasoning, or a combination of basil and oregano.  

In a separate bowl, combine 1 carton of cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese, some shredded mozzarella (Maybe 1 cup or so?), and half a cup or so of shredded parmesan, add 1 tsp salt.

Layer the pasta, meat sauce and cheese sauce in a casserole dish, add a little more cheese to the top and bake at 350 F until the cheese is melted (I like it a little crunchy around the edges).

Serve with salad or whatever.  :)  (the cherry tomatoes in the salad pictured are from the plant that we grew over the summer in a pot and now have inside.  It's mostly dead since I never water it, so I imagine these (very tiny) tomatoes will be the last we get from it.)

No comments: