Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Letter to my Children

My kids are young. The oldest is just at the beginning of realizing that there is a world outside of his family. They're happy, and have very limited experience with pain, for which I am grateful. Children deserve to grow up in a world where they feel safe and loved, and know where they fit in.

I was talking to my Mister about challenges I see around me, and how I want more than that for our children. Unfortunately each of them have to make their own choices in life. I can't protect them forever, nor should I. I just hope that I can teach them enough that they know how to avoid as much of the pain of life as possible, and to be happy.

So, To my boys (and I'm sure I'll add to this through the years),

I love you.
I hope you learn that life is never going to be easy, but that doesn't mean you can't be happy.
I hope you learn that God gives us commandments not to limit us, but to keep us free from extra pain.
I hope you learn to treat others gently,
I hope you learn to stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.
I hope you gain a strong testimony of the gospel, and of God's love for you, and that you can lean on it when you don't know where else to lean.
I hope you learn how to work hard.
I hope you learn how to value other people for the right reasons, especially when you are looking for a spouse.
I hope you learn to do what is right, even when it's hard.

2 comments:

Marcy said...

Love this.

Charlotte said...

Very poignant! Thank you for sharing this Al - I wish the same for my kids!